Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Twitter 101: Protect Your Reputation

Companies (and people like Kanye West who worry about impostors) need to protect their reputations on Twitter. People are talking about you whether you want them to or not, so the best way to handle this is to establish a presence for yourself, build a strong brand and use tools that help you listen to the people in Twitterville. Zappos, Comcast, Starbucks, Ashton Kutcher, Oprah and Soulja Boy aren't spazzing out about stalkers and fake Twitter accounts because they're focused on using microblogging to boost their reputations.

I'm paying attention to Twitter tools and the innovative ways that people are using real-time technology for brand expression. I love how companies are using Twitter to interact with customers in a new environment--followers get to enjoy a different experience and the trick is to get them to appreciate it for the long-haul. I also love it when Soulja Boy posts links to live performances and pictures of his tattoos.

So, when you think about Tweeting, think outside of the box. Think about using your creativity to take control of your reputation and enhance your current campaigns.

3 comments:

  1. You are teaching me so much about the new age of virtual reality. I am beginning to understand this new technology. I've got this new book, entitled BORN DIGITAL: UNDERSTANDING THE FIRST GENERATION OF DIGITAL NATIVES, by John Palfrey and Urs Gasser. This is wild! You really are living your life in a digital world.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the love, Dad. I'm so glad you are still interested in learning about new technology at 66 years old. I'll search online for information about the new book you're reading. Maybe you'll let me borrow the hard copy when you're done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, watch out! I am an only child, who is funny about lending my books. But I'll do anything for you, Babes.

    ReplyDelete